Spirit Gym Code of Practice
Ethical Guidelines and Code of Ethics
Ethical Guidelines within Enneagram Training
Below are the Ethical Guidelines which form the basis of ethical Enneagram/Mindfulness-based practice work with participants, whether in groups or individually. Spirit Gym adopts these guidelines and requires all its volunteer and paid Enneagram facilitators, coaches, counsellors and participants to sign up to them:
- We commit to mindful conversation, as best we can, knowing Enneagram work goes deep. It touches our core identity and vulnerability as well as our strengths.
- The decision about which Type we have is ours alone. We may take advice, but no one else can determine our Type for us.
- If we talk about another person’s Type, we do so tentatively, in the spirit of humble inquiry.
- We are more than our Type and we acknowledge the fuller richness of each person’s identity.
- The Enneagram is ancient wisdom yet an emerging field, so we tread gently and with respect.
- We do not talk about specific people when explaining about type patterns.
- We honour our teachers and name our sources.
- We are welcoming and open-minded, appreciating there are many pathways, perspectives and opinions.
Code of Ethics for those who use the Enneagram with others
The Enneagram is a powerful and complex system that addresses human functioning and growth. As such, it is essential that every person who benefits financially from teaching or working with the Enneagram (e.g. facilitators, coaches, counsellors etc) has a thorough knowledge of the system. And just as Enneagram practitioners should have a high level of knowledge of the Enneagram system, they should only teach Enneagram applications within their areas of expertise.
Below are the key points of ethics that we ask all Enneagram professionals should sign up to:
- I will strive to maintain the highest levels of competence in my work.
- I recognise the need for ongoing continuous professional development (CPD) in order to remain professionally competent; and I will undertake regular CPD to ensure competence in my professional activities.
- I commit to continue with my own inner work by undertaking regular self-inquiry and self-development in the service of growth, and to using a supervisor if I offer counselling.
- I will seek to promote integrity in the study, teaching, practice and development of the Enneagram.
- I will show respect for and open-mindedness toward the views of others.
- I will strive to present my ideas in a way that is understandable to and appropriate for my audience.
- I will remain open to feedback from clients or participants regarding my content and style of delivery.
- I will conduct myself in a manner that brings respect and honour to the Enneagram.
- If using the Enneagram as a consultant, therapist, teacher, spiritual director, or healer, I will adhere to the standards of my field in my relationships with my clients and students.
- I will recognise and acknowledge the limitations of my expertise by referring clients beyond my competence on to appropriate individuals or agencies.
- I will show the utmost respect for the rights of privacy of others. I will not violate the confidentiality of clients or students, except where I am required to legally, or where the client/student is at considerable risk to themselves or others.
- I will make only such statements and claims in representing my services that are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge and belief.
- I will not make any statement or claim that gives false information about the services of competitors.
- I will not enter into inappropriate* personal or business relationships or behaviour with my clients or students (*Inappropriate behaviour could include: bullying, harassment, sexual harassment or harassment on grounds of for example race, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, civil status, age, family status, religion).
Updated July 2023